Updated on 19/11/2020
This 5th edition took place from 2nd to 7th November 2020 in Ouagadougou, in a hybrid format (face-to-face and video-conference) because of its realization in the context of COVID-19.
The digital platform of OUAGA FILM LAB #5 recorded, at the end of the call for projects launched in February 2020, about a hundred applications from 25 countries of West, Central and the Great Lakes Africa. This enthusiasm reflects the vitality of the creators in these regions and the importance of this development and co-production laboratory in supporting young authors-directors and their producers - specially in this context of a global health crisis.
The selection committee of the OUAGA FILM LAB had selected ten film projects for this edition:
- “And who will cook?”, a documentary project by Samira VERA-CRUZ (Cape Verde), produced by Pedro SOULÉ - Kriolscope Filmes (Cape Verde)
- “Conversations with my mother”, a feature project by Samuel TEBANDEKE (Uganda), produced by Juliana KABUA - Aftales Film Hub (Kenya)
- “Debout mon enfant”, a feature project by Pape Abdoulaye SECK (Senegal), produced by Baila SY - Proxycom (Senegal)
- “Doxandem: Dream Hunters”, a documentary project by Saliou SARR (Senegal), produced by Yanis GAYE - Gorée Island (Senegal)
- “Identity”, a documentary project by Inès SORGHO (Burkina Faso), produced by Claver ZONGO - Yira Entertainment (Burkina Faso)
- “The return of Job”, a documentary project by Inoussa BAGUIAN (Burkina Faso), produced by Hassane SANFO - Fama Films (Burkina Faso)
- “Les pétroliers”, a documentary project by Aboubacar ASSOUMANE (Niger), produced by Moumouni BAKABÉ - Agence Intermedia (Niger)
- “Minimals in a titanic world”, a feature project by Philbert MBABAZI (Rwanda), produced by Samuel ISHIMWE - Imitana Productions (Rwanda)
- “Tam-tam”, a feature project by Mireille NIYONSABA (Burundi), produced by Laurent BITTY - Les films du continent (Ivory Coast)
- “The new man”, a documentary project by Yuri CEUNINCK (Cape Verde), produced by Natasha RODRIGUES - Korikaxoru Films (Cape Verde)
Le prix « Parcours »
For 5 years, the Institut français has been supporting this platform for meetings between young African talents and international consultants and has awarded one of the film projects the "Parcours" prize. This prize consists of personalized support for a project and allows the optimization of its potential by offering adequate support, either in writing or in production. It also offers, through a label of recognition, visibility on the French, French-speaking but also European and international market.
The "Parcours" prize of the Institut français is awarded this year to Minimals in a titanic world, a fiction project by Philbert MBABAZI (Rwanda), produced by Samuel ISHIMWE (Imitana Productions), a promising duo that embodies a new wave of cinema in Rwanda. Minimals in a titanic word tells a love story crossed by death, in the heart of a micro society of artists, the strength of a youth that seeks its marks on the margins of society.
The "Parcours" prize, endowed with 3500€, will allow them to have professional consultations at different stages of script development.
The OUAGA FILM LAB #5 is organized in close collaboration with the DGCA, Direction générale du cinéma et de l'audiovisuel (Burkina Faso), the CNC, Centre National du Cinéma et de l'Image Animée (France), the Groupe Ouest (France) and the Institut Français (IF Paris, IF Burkina Faso, la Fabrique des cinémas du Monde, la Cinémathèque Afrique), FOPICA (Senegal), Fespaco (Burkina Faso), Institut IMAGINE de Ouagadougou, Centre régional des Arts vivants/CERAV-Afrique (Burkina Faso), the International Documentary Film Festival of Agadir in Morocco (FIDADOC), the Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg (Germany), Sud Ecriture (Tunisia), the Agence livre, cinéma et audiovisuel en Nouvelle-Aquitaine - ALCA (France), the CNCI (Tunisia), the Centre des écritures cinématographiques CECI du Moulin d'Andé (France), the International Documentary Film festival Amsterdam - IDFA (Netherlands), Documentary Africa - DocA (Kenya), the Durban Film Market/Talent Durban (South Africa), Les Ateliers de l'Atlas/ Marrakech International Film Festival (Morocco).
The OUAGA FILM LAB #5 is supported by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Burkina Faso (MCAT), the Swiss Cooperation Office in Burkina Faso, the Centre national du cinéma et de l'image animée - CNC (France), the Organisation internationale de la Francophonie (OIF), the Luxembourg Cooperation Office in Burkina Faso, the Luxembourg Film Fund, TV5 Monde, the Fonds de développement culturel et touristique (FDCT) of Burkina Faso and the Goethe Institute of Ouagadougou.