Season of Lithuania in France
This Season will highlight the culture and history of this country from both a heritage and contemporary perspective. It will allow to establish and strengthen lasting cooperation between professionals from France and Lithuania. It will invite us to debate major contemporary issues within the European Union around human rights and climate emergency, and to share the values of freedom, democracy and equality.
Its curatorship has been entrusted to Ms. Virginija Vitkienė, General Director of "Kaunas - European Capital of Culture 2022".
A call for ideas is published on the websites of the French Institute and the Lithuanian. Interested French and Lithuanian partners can propose a project within the framework of the Season, according to the modalities specified below, and thus allow the French public to discover a teeming and exciting artistic and intellectual scene that is still little known in France.
Lithuanian Culture Institute and Institut français organize a call for ideas for programming the Season of Lithuania in France 2024. The Season will take place between 12th September and 12th December, 2024. The call is only suitable for projects planned in France through this period. Artists are recommended to apply through organizations.
The proposed ideas must conceptually correspond to the concept note (main document of the Season) and criteria expressed below. It should mention partner institution(s) in Lithuania or express a need for partnership in the concrete sector and/or art field. Organization must submit one form per idea.
Ideas submitted must meet majority of these criteria:
1. to increase visibility and awareness of contemporary Lithuanian culture within French audiences .
2. to reinforce, and invigorate values relevant to Europe's present and future: human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality, human rights, and climate resilience.
3. to co-create a project together with a French partner(s), addressing common history, shared culture and values of Lithuanian and French people.
4. to seek long lasting partnerships and collaborations between French and Lithuanian institutions and professionals.
5. to address and include various audiences, especially young people
Ideas must fit in with at least one of the topics, presented in the concept note : Global Neighborhoods, Empowered Identities, and Unleashed Imagination.
A Project Idea Proposal must be submitted until April 10th, 2023.
Submit a project idea proposal
Based on this information, and if your idea does indeed meet the criteria specified above, the Institut français will contact you and may invite you to formally submit a project via an online form from mid-May 2023, following procedures that will then be sent to you (in particular, you will be asked to share a detailed description of the project, provisional budget for your project, with balanced revenue and expenditure, audience outreach strategy, and communication strategy).
Please note that the online project submission form will be sent to you by the Institut français if your preliminary project is pre-selected.
The modalities for the online project application form will be specified to the selected project’s ideas.
This project will then be presented at one of the Joint Selection Committee (see schedule below), which will decide on approval.
PROVISIONAL SCHEDULE (2023-2024)
• February 10th -April 10th 2023 : Call for ideas is open
• By middle of May 2023: Pre-selection of ideas
• Middle of May 2023 : Opening of the Call for Projects platform (online link will be sent for preselected ideas only)
• Middle of May – beginning of September 2023 : Submission of application
• October 2023: Selection committee and labelling
• January - August 2024 : Preparation steps according to the Project’s time schedules and the tasks of Commissioner (such as preparatory texts, communication steps, etc.)
• March 2024 : Second meeting of Selection Committee (to be confirmed) and labeling
• 12th September - 12th December 2024 : Implementation of the programme
To contact the Pôle Saisons et Temps forts
The Season of Lithuania in France is implemented by the Lithuanian Culture Institute and the French Institute, in close collaboration with the Lithuanian Embassy in France and the French Embassy in Lithuania, under the aegis of the French Ministries of Europe and Foreign Affairs and Culture, and the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Lithuania.