La Fabrique Cinéma de l’Institut français is a partner of Realness since its beginning to allow the selection of a French-speaking African screenwriter among the participants.
It is an initiative that aims to uncover the depth of cinematic talent that the African continent has to offer. Realness provides a space for filmmakers to develop their authentic voices within an African context. Thus, creating an environment of diversity, but also finding familiarity in different layers of each writer’s experiences.
Now in its 4th edition, Realness has hosted writer/directors from 13 different countries in Africa including Senegal (Rama Thiaw), Rwanda (Kantarama Gahigiri), Angola (Mario Fradique Bastos) and Kenya (Ng’endo Mukii).
6 projects and participants have been selected this year:
- Athi-Patra Ruga – The Lunar Songbook – South Africa
- Beza Hailu Lemma – The Last Tears of The Deceased – Ethiopia
- Fanyana Hlabangane – The Spirit Guest – South Africa
- Hajooj Kuka – African Titanics – Sudan
- Iman Djionne – Coura+Ouleye – Senegal
- Silas Miami – Miles – Kenya
For more information about the 2019 Residents and their projects, visit Realness